Sunday, April 12, 2009

THINK BEFORE YOU LEAP! CONSIDER BEFORE YOU SPEAK.

This blog is a departure from my usual. I'm not going to talk about Sherman jewelry tonight. I'm going to write about something far more personal. I'm doing this as a way of apologizing to someone I care about. I'm doing it to make myself feel better, though I'm not sure that'll work. But here goes anyway.

Have you ever said anything you really regretted saying, especially when someone was hurt by your words? Of course you have. We all do it, and sometimes we do it to those we love and value the most, don't we. There's truth in that song that went "you always hurt the one you love".

Well when you write a blog, it's even worse if you say something that ends up hurting someone because now it's in print and everyone can read it. And that's what happened to me last night. I wrote a piece in this blog about how hard it can be to make the decision to buy. Some folks decide quickly. Others take time. Some agonize over a decision. Others leap and think later. Leap and think later ... that's what I did and in the process I hurt someone dear to me with my words.

You might have seen that piece. Maybe you read it. Maybe you thought I was talking about you as it's an experience many would identify with. To make my point about how you can take too long deciding to buy, I used a recent experience with a customer. That customer read the blog and took offense. And so I hurt someone I really care about.

I deleted that post, but I cannot delete the damage that's been done to a friendship I value. Can it be repaired? That's not for me to decide. But I do want to say that if you, like me, write a blog, please think before you leap. Consider the consequences of your words. So often I've read we need to be careful about what we say online. Well I've just learned the hard way how true that is. I also know that the word "sorry" is hopelessly inadequate when you hurt someone.

My friend thought I made her look stupid. No, dear friend. The only one looking ... and feeling very stupid here is me.