Sunday, June 8, 2008

CAN'T BELIEVE THIS JEWELRY IS BY SHERMAN?!


Have you ever come across a piece of Sherman jewelry that you can't believe is a Sherman? I have, and more than once. I now own 3 pieces that I wouldn't have given a second glance except that I noticed that famous scripted Sherman signature on the pieces.

Take the one shown in the photo: it has none of what we usually associate with jewelry by Gustave Sherman. Where are the Swarovski crystals? The Aurora Borealis stones? What, no glitter?

Well actually it does glitter thanks to the excellent gold plate Sherman used in this piece and the construction is superb: 3 gold-plated interlocking chains hang to a length of 24 inches from which dangles a shiny gold-plated bezel is an owl-like pendant measuring 2 1/2" X 1 1/2". Then some more tassles. So different from any Sherman I've seen and yet decidedly Sherman. There's that signature right beside the locking piece. Click on any of the photos to see more views of this piece.

This kind of Sherman jewelry doesn't fetch the dollars that traditional Shermans do, so I would look at it less as an investment piece, and more as a fabulous piece of jewelry that is utterly contemporary in its styling. It's one of these pieces you can wear to the office to add that feminine touch to a suit, or simply to jazz up an everyday bit of clothing.

I have noticed lately how much of a comeback costume jewelry is making. In this past weekend's GLOBE and MAIL (Life Style) they had a section titled "Costume Drama". I couldn't believe how the chunky look of wood & plastics etc. are making a comeback. And the prices! Ay yay yay! While I expect to pay big dollars for gold and gemstones, who would guess some of this stuff is going for hundreds, even thousands of dollars?! What I'm wondering is what will it be worth in 50 years time ... if it lasts that long? At least Sherman jewelry has been around for 50 years or more and some of the pieces are still as good as new, thanks to the quality of the workmanship and materials. Oh by the way, in case you're curious, I'm only asking $65 for that delightful Sherman in this post. You can buy it from my SHERMAN JEWELLERY SHOWCASE or via MY SHOP AT RUBY LANE. It's unique! It's quality and it's Sherman!